Director of Youth Ministry
Position Title: Director of Youth Ministry Hours: Part time (25 hours per week
Supervised by: Pastor of Ascension Parish FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Ascension is a growing parish (about 1,000 families) within the suburban community of Tierrasanta, San Diego. This position is part time and comes with an administrative assistant to help as necessary (during registration and during other peak periods). Ascension’s Director of Youth Ministry provides primary leadership for the implementation of parish ministry to junior high and high school youth, according to the USCCB’s eight components of youth ministry.
· To form Disciples of Christ by attending to the growth and development of each young person in the way of the Gospel.
· To assist parents and families in the faith formation of their young people through culturally-sensitive and developmentally appropriate means.
· To encourage each young people to listen for and respond to the particular mission and vocation God has for them
· To provide faith community and support to young people, and to integrate young people into the life of the parish, and the Church as a whole.
· To promote life-long spiritual formation and education of young people.
· To foster an awareness of the poor and the marginalized through a commitment to service and justice opportunities
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Faith formation of young people with excellence, in the Catholic tradition, including two- year Confirmation program
· Coordination of weekly high school youth night
· Coordination of junior high youth night
· Recruitment and management of adult volunteers, and high school Core Team (juniors and seniors) for Confirmation, youth nights, and junior high ministry
· Coordinates retreats, service opportunities, fundraisers, and other events
· Active, practicing member of the Catholic Church, and excellent knowledge and adherence of Church teaching and life
· Desire and enthusiasm for working with these age demographics
· Highly self- motivated, creative, energetic and assertive
· Three or more years’ demonstrated relevant experience (with a strong preference for experience in the parish setting)
· Demonstrated spiritual and emotional maturity
· Strong organizational skills, including time management, delegation, planning, budgeting and ability to balance multiple projects at a time
· Ability to manage and engage key stakeholders including key including parents, core team members, all teenagers, staff members and adult volunteers.
· Close collaboration with Pastor, Pastoral Associate and Director of Religious Education to meet the pastoral needs of the whole Ascension community
· Successful completion of Safe Environment process
· Bachelor’s degree in Theology or related field preferred
Salary - $15 - $20 per hour depending on experience and qualifications
Interested candidates should submit cover letter and resume with 3 references via email to:
Armelle Miller, Business Manager and Janelle Peregoy, Pastoral Associate
Resumes accepted until July 25th.