St Rose of Lima Youth Minister
St. Rose of Lima Parish in Chula Vista, California has a position opening for a Youth Minister. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing a parish based pastoral ministry with youth. We believe that a successful youth program will achieve four goals. It will connect our youth with:
· Jesus Christ
· The Church, by inviting and welcoming their presence in the Christian community
· The mission of the Church in the world
· A peer community in which their faith is nurtured and strengthened
Responsibilities and Duties
1. Addresses the need for formation of youth.
2. Develops personal relationships with the youth, provides for formal catechesis, and invites and enables youth to serve others.
3. Coordinates and executes annual confirmation and youth retreats.
4. This position typically supervises paid and/or volunteer staff including program leaders and secretarial staff.
5. Recruits, trains, assesses, and supports all adult volunteers, while seeking close communication with the families of the youth.
6. Responsible for the background checks for all regular adult volunteers.
7. Works in collaboration with parish staff to integrate youth into all aspects of parish life.
8. Involves youth in service and outreach in the parish and community and developing programs based on the model of whole parish catechesis.
9. Communicates regularly with parish staff and the Pastoral Council in sharing information and working in collaboration. Maintains a positive working relationship with the Pastor and staff.
10. Raises up effective mentors for youth and from youth.
11. Promotes, plans, and facilitates parish youth in participation in diocesan and national youth events.
12. Keeps youth and parents informed of diocesan programs and certification, social, service and retreat opportunities through a distribution of a yearly calendar and monthly scheduled of activities.
13. Works in collaboration with the parish music ministry and Liturgy Committee to involve youth in Sunday Masses on a regular basis and in special liturgical celebrations throughout the year. (The ability to play a musical instrument is a plus).
14. Organizes and teaches the youth of the parish to live aspects of social justice.
15. Designs and maintains filing and record keeping system for all youth ministry programs and develops and maintain databases such as membership list, resource material, etc.
16. Collaborates fully with diocesan office of youth ministry.
17. Develops and manages an annual budget.
Requirements / Qualifications
1. A Catholic having an active and deep faith with full participation in the communal worship and life of the Church.
2. A working knowledge of ministry curriculum; biblical studies and theology, familiarity with Life Teen and Edge Youth Ministry Programs is a plus.
3. Excellent organizational and administrative skills; marketing, budgeting, maintaining webpage, fundraising, and attendance. The program currently serves approximately 200 youth.
4. Knowledge and skills in using personal computers and parish software.
5. Ability to communicate well, verbally and in writing.
6. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
7. Ability to relate to a variety of people.
8. Basic proficiency of the Spanish Language (not required but highly recommended).
Education and/or Experience
1. The classification requires a Bachelor’s Degree, certification in youth ministry.
2. Embraces continuing formation through workshops, conference.
How to Apply
If interested please send your resume and contact information to:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or
Mail: St. Rose of Lima Parish
Attn: Patti Favela
278 Alvarado, Unit 1
Chula Vista, CA 91910