Position Title: Director of the Office for Young Adult Ministry
Hours: Full time (35 hours/week)
Supervised by: Bishop of San Diego
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Director oversees the Office for Young Adult Ministry which provides guidance and support to parish Young Adult Ministry programs and leadership as they strive to meet the needs of young adults (ages 18-39, married and single). The Office for Young Adult Ministry also provides direct support to young adults in the diocese through its regularly scheduled events. The principal objectives of this position are outreach, evangelization, pastoral care, and faith formation.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Diocesan Programming: Create, develop, maintain, and grow diocesan and parish young adult ministry programs and other forms of outreach for young adults. Examples include: Theology on Tap, Mega Mass, Annual Retreat, service opportunities, etc..
- Diocesan Collaboration: Engage the various diocesan offices, such as youth ministry, vocations, marriage and family life, social ministries, cultural diversity in the programming and events for young adults.
- Parish Collaboration and Consulting: Provide consultative services and assistance to parishes on issues related to young adults and young adult ministry and evangelization.
- Ministry Training and leadership development: Provide training for parish young adult leaders through regular leadership training programs, ministry workshops, and one-on-one mentoring.
- Visioning: Articulate a comprehensive vision for young adult ministry in the diocese, based on the goals of the U.S. Bishops document, Sons and Daughters of the Light that focuses on faith formation, social justice and evangelization of young adults.
- Advocacy: Be a voice for all young adults in the life and work of the Catholic Church in the diocese as well as individual parishes.
- Pastoral Ministry: Respond to individual young adult needs and requests, and connect them to the local parish community and other appropriate resources.
- Evaluation: Continually evaluate, brainstorm, and strive to improve young adult outreach and ministry on both the diocesan and parish levels.
In addition to the above, the director is expected to avail him/herself of appropriate professional and spiritual development opportunities, attend to the administrative aspects of the office and oversee the Pastoral Juvenil Consultant (coordinator for Hispanic young adult ministry).
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Proven, mature decision making skills
- Must have an evangelical spirit, be welcoming, friendly, and approachable
- Thorough knowledge and familiarity with the organizational structure and practices of the Roman Catholic Church. Must be a practicing Catholic.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Theology, Religious Studies, or equivalent required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Three to five years’ experience in youth, young adult, or campus ministry. Parish and diocesan based experience is a plus.
- Proven experience with creating, designing, developing, and implementing ministry programs
- Articulate communicator with advanced presentation skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Publisher and PowerPoint. Website management helpful.
- This position will involve frequent evening and weekend engagements. Office hours will be maintained with some flexibility.
Salary range: $50,000. - $60,000. Annually
Please submit cover letter and resume to: email@example.com