POSITION TITLE: Confirmation Coordinator/Youth Minister
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
HOURS: Full-time, some evenings and weekends
REPORTS TO: Pastor
POSITION SUMMARY: The Confirmation Coordinator/Youth Minister is responsible for ministry to junior and high school students, as well as preparation for youth who are preparing to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation. This position also provides pastoral care, and attention to, the young adults of the parish. The Coordinator/Youth Minister (MINISTER) collaborates with the school principal and staff for all religious education, as well as with the directors and coordinators of Religious Education. The Minister consults, collaborates, and is related to, all other religious activities in the parish, especially in providing liturgical ministry to junior high, high school, and collegiate students.
- Administrates, directs, evaluates, and implements the parish sacramental preparation of teenagers who are in junior high and high school, and who have not yet received their Sacrament of Confirmation.
- Through a comprehensive process of faith formation, catechetical instruction, development of retreats, social, and community service opportunities, and the formation of a core team of ministers – provide leadership to develop and execute the necessary resources in the parish community for the fruitful celebration of this Sacrament.
- In furtherance of this Confirmation sacramental preparation, schedule, organize and facilitate all sacramental formation events.
- Serve/minister to teenagers and young adults with a goal of laying a solid foundation for future adult discipleship in Christ, Christian living, and their ministry to others.
- Be a referral minister to satisfy the needs for those who have not yet completed their preparation, and who need catechizing, for the fruitful celebration of their First Reconciliation (Penance) as well as their First Holy Communion.
- Plan, direct, facilitate, and evaluate, the parish ministry program to youth and young adults, including components of Word (evangelization and catechesis); prayer and worship; enablement and advocacy, for community-building and Christian service; as well as a place of recreation and safety.
- Collaborate with the Director and Coordinators of Faith Formation, other formation staff, and pastoral ministers, so as to recruit, train, develop, and verify catechists, according to Diocesan and parish policies.
- Effectively communicate upcoming celebrations, and formation opportunities, with staff, catechists and diocesan (or other related) institutions.
- Promote good public relations within and beyond the parish, related to advocacy of, and ministry to, youth;
- Be responsible for any and all weekly bulletin announcements which reflect the sacramental preparation of this critical parish faith formation program, and Youth Ministry activities.
- Cultivate and maintain, cooperative relationships with parents and families of those served in our Youth Ministry, and sacramental preparations.
- Ensure the use of social media to foster more effective communication with youth, facilitating the development of a relationship of the youth with Christ Jesus and His Church.
- In consultation with the Pastor, create and monitor a budget (income and revenue allocation) for the operation of this sacramental effort/program, and Youth Ministry activities.
- Prepare purchase orders to obtain resources (audiovisual resources, textbooks, liturgy materials, etc.) which facilitate and complement the sacramental preparation efforts, and ministry to, teens, young adults, and students.
- Participate in staff and other necessary and appropriate meetings.
- Participate in local and diocesan events
- Other duties as assigned
- Knowledge of: Mission of the Church, as articulated in the exhortation by Pope Francis on the new evangelization (www.vatican.va/evangelii-gaudium/en/), and the Youth Ministry policy and guidelines of the Diocese of San Diego
- Be conversant with the principles of youth ministry; methods of youth evangelization; principles and methods of adolescent catechesis; principles and models of youth retreats; adolescent development; leadership development; youth ministry resources and their application to adolescents; issues and circumstances of collegiate students and young adults as well as diocesan and national guidelines and trends.
- Ability to create community with and for youth and young adults;
- Assess needs of parish youth and young adults, developing long-range goals in collaboration and consultation with Pastor
- Design and coordinate programs in different component areas;
- Recruit, train, and supervise adult volunteers and youth leaders;
- Relate and interact with peer ministers beyond the parish (Other parishes, diocesan staff, and ministers of other Christian faiths).
- Two years working in leadership capacity (either as a volunteer or paid) with young/young adults
- Development and implementation of one or more components of a holistic youth ministry program;
- Demonstrable work with adult volunteers
- Degree in Youth Ministry, Theology, Pastoral Studies or related field California Basic Catechist certification and theological perspective consistent with Renewing the Vision (U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, 1997) and The Challenge of Adolescent Catechesis (National Federation for Catholic Youth Ministry, 1986);
- Express a commitment to continuing professional education.
Salary Range: Depends on qualifications and experience
Please submit cover letter and resume to: Fr. Peter Bosque at firstname.lastname@example.org