POSITION TITLE: Director, Office for Youth Ministry
HOURS: Mon. - Fri., 8:30am - 4:30pm. Includes occasional evenings and weekends.
REPORTS TO: Chancellor
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
The office for youth ministry supports parishes in fostering the spiritual, social and intellectual growth of young people and empowering them to transform the world as disciples of Jesus; Youth of every culture, as disciples of the Lord, ought to be drawn to responsible participation in the life and mission of the Church. These elements affirm the Diocese of San Diego General Plan and the USCCB document “Renewing the Vision”.
Responsibilities of the Director:
To provide ongoing formation to parish youth ministers
- Continue providing the Certificate in Youth Ministry Studies Program.
- Regularly evaluate effectiveness of all course content in light of the General Plan’s directives.
- Offer training sessions for paid and volunteer program leaders.
Provide collaboration opportunities for youth ministry leadership
- Provide training, formation, and collaborative opportunities through in-service meetings.
- Develop networking relationships as well as outreach opportunities with community and ecumenical organizations whose work impacts or is impacted by youth.
- Direct the diocesan leadership camp for youth (Camp Emmaus)
- Direct the annual diocesan gathering of youth (San Diego Youth Day)
Provide and maintain information regarding diocesan policies and guidelines
- Assist parishes in complying with regulatory issues and responsibilities regarding youth ministry.
- Revise Confirmation Preparation Resource book on an as needed basis.
- Promote lay ecclesial ministry standards among youth ministry leaders.
Maintain and provide ministry resources
- Continue development of resource references and website.
- Review new publications from publishers on a regular basis.
- Work in collaboration with other diocesan ministry offices.
Provide consultation and direction for parishes
- Offer consultation with youth ministers, pastors, and leadership.
- Assist parishes with personnel issues and planning processes.
- Provide on-site leadership training to parishes as requested.
Support leadership to further pursue spiritual and personal development.
- Promote opportunities to build community among leadership.
- Connect leadership to the larger Church through courses and conferences, locally, regionally and nationally.
Participate in regional, state, and national youth organizations
- Region XI Gathering
- Region Eleven Commission for the Spanish Speaking
- National Federation for Catholic Youth Ministry Membership Meeting
Advocate outreach to all cultural communities in the diocese
- Ensure training, programing and curriculum show respect and sensitivity to the cultural experience of all people.
- Support communication and collaboration among groups.
Pastoral Juvenil con Adolescentes
- Offer training and support for ministry programs leaders
- Identify resources for the support of parish programs
- Provide community building opportunities among leadership
- Participate in national and regional gatherings
- Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree (preferred) in Religious Studies, Pastoral Ministry, Theology or related field.
- 5-7 years of parish youth ministry experience.
- Excellent leadership and supervisory skills.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and collaborative skills.
- High Intercultural competence.
- Bilingual required: English/Spanish.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong ability to process and complete multiple tasks effectively.
Please submit cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line of your email please reference “Director for Youth Ministry”. In the body of your email please include at least three sentences in Spanish that address your experience in parish youth ministry.